Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Stampede 2011 Western Arts & Crafts Entry!

I think last year was only the second year I hadn’t entered anything into the Western Arts & Crafts Showcase at the Calgary Stampede since I started quilling.  So this year, I really wanted to get an entry made for it.  I was still so busy and stressed about getting ready for my cruise in July that I almost didn’t get a card made.  I made a Quilled snowflake Christmas card, using  silver holographic edged paper.  The Merry Christmas peel off is actually silver, but look gold in the  photgraph.  The background is embossed on an Arctic white, pearl paper.  I took it in just a week or so before I went on the cruise.  

The Stampede started on July 8th, and I left on July 6th, so I had no idea how I did until I got back, and went there on the 16th.  To my surprise, I won first place in the card make class, and 3rd place in the Paper arts section overall!!!  I was shocked, because, since they changed the format for the section awards, and started offering cash prizes, I had not won a section award.  So, to get 3rd in section was really pleasing, especially with a $100 prize to go with my 1st place ribbon!  As I've said before, picture don't do any justice, or show the wonderful color reflections on this holographic paper.  
 
All comments welcome…

6 comments:

Helen said...

very pretty!

chillin with Quillin said...

very pretty and congrats, really excited for you!!!
Paula

Artes de Nágela said...

Doreen,
It is true the photos do not show the real beauty of the work. Still, we had the same problem that we see beyond. The delicacy of quilling does give you idea of ​​lightness and movement in his card. Very beautiful. Certainly deserved to be rewarded. Congratulations!
Hugs

Charlotte said...

Congratulations! Your card is just beautiful. I like how you combine embossing on the card stock with your quilling giving your pieces such nice texture.

Ann said...

Congratulations Doreen, that's so nice and well-deserved! Looking forward to hearing more about the cruise.

Unknown said...

hey my duck how's things?