Monday, February 1, 2010

All That Glitters...

Here's a different technique, that I've played with...you might be a little surprised as there is no quilling on these next cards! The technique is simply called Burnished Velvet.

I've played with microfine glitter a few times since last May. This technique is called burnished velvet, and I learned it at Paper Pastimes. A couple of friends graciously let me use their glitter, and double sided tape; as it is something, I unfortunately can't afford to invest in at the moment. Anyways, this is such a neat and creative process!

You take a strip of Sookwang double sided tape (the best double sided tape ever!), and mount it on a strip of cardstock. Then, you punch out shapes, using the tape backing. and place them how you like on the double sided tape. You then pour on your base color of glitter...a little goes such a long way! Then tap is off, and burnish it by rubbing with your finger tips. Next, you remore some of your puched shapes, and add a different color of glitter, tap/brush off, and burnish. Then do again, if you have other shapes. The result is gorgeous, and can only be achieved with microfine glitter, as it is the only one that you can burnish.

So, I made the 2 with the butterflies, and then used peel off leaves for the green one. The Valentine one I just made last week, but am going to add gold cupid punches, as I used ultra fine glitter for them, and they don't show up very well. So having all these glitter strips, I thought I would finally mount them on cardstock. For the embossed butterfly cards I used a Fiskars texture plate in my Big Shot. For the other 2 I used Cuttlebug folders for the embossing.





This is such a creative technique... the designs are endless as to what you can make. I wish the pictures showed them better...

No comments: